|The Dachau Concentration Camp, 1933 to
1945. Text and photo documents from the exhibition, with
The new design of the exhibitions was undertaken by the House of Bavarian History in cooperation with the Dachau concentration Camp Memorial Site and the Comité International de Dachau and in consultation with the expert advisory board. Project direction: Dr. Habil. Ludwig Eiber, Dr. Manfred Treml (1998 2000), Prof. Dr. Claus Grimm (2000 2003). Curatorial and authorial team: Dr. H.c. Barbara Distel, Dr. Habil. Ludwig Eiber, Thomas Felsenstein, Dr. Gabriele Hammermann, Micha Neher, Dr. Christian Schölzel, Dr. Stanislav Zámecnik. Hg. from Comité International de Dachau and Barbara Distel, Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site, Dachau/München 2005, page 76.
JEHOVAHS WITNESSES ("Serious bible student") Zeugen Jehovas ("Bibelforscher")
Members of the banned Jehovahs Witness organization refused to give the Hitler salute and serve in the military. At the Dachau concentration camp they were imprisoned in the punishment barrack up until 1939. As the camp was cleared for rebuilding, they (144 prisoners) were transferred to Mauthausen, where many of them were murdered. Eighty-five Jehovahs Witnesses were dispersed throughout the Dachau subcamps at liberation.[Picture Johannes Gärtner (Information: Wachtturm-Gesellschaft der Zeugen Jehovas)]
Johannes Gärtner (1906-1940)
[Box] "They were patient without artifice and it was not uncommon that they shared the little food they had with a hungrier prisoner. Their faith, which could not be shaken, enabled them to endure with an utter scorn for death the terrible harassment that the SS subjected them to." (Hübsch, Island of Military Law; he was a prisoner in the Dachau concentration camp, 1937 1945) The Jehovahs Witnesses were respected by their fellow prisoners for their honorableness and bravery.
[Reproduction of a document (Information: Staatsarchiv
München)] Letter from the Munich state police
office on the conditions for release of Jehovahs
Witnesses, January 23, 1939.